Pinterest A Grateful Life Lived: Hebrews 10:32-39

Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Hebrews 10:32-39

     It was probably about three years ago during a morning meeting of Fellowship of Christian Athletes (FCA) that I heard someone mention their "life verse."  She explained what hers was, and encouraged us to share ours with others like she was.  Immediately, I was flushed with embarrassment: what was my life verse!?
     To be honest, I don't think that there is a huge significance to a life verse or passage in the Bible.  I think the point is that we see God's word moving in our life and speaking to us, and that we take it for what it is: the very words of our Heavenly father.  That being said, the very winter I discovered the notion of a life verse/passage, I began my battle with anorexia.  Although I'm not quite sure when I heard these verses-- probably from my dad-- I can point to the specific moments I have clung to them in desperation and found Christ's encouragement to me.  I am extremely utterly blessed, but I have also faced many trials so far in my life.  The reason this passage is so special to me because it speaks to "holding on," through the difficult things in life and waiting for "he who made the promise."  That is who I am: an over-comer, a fighter, and a broken child of God who has a promise of restoration and hope.
     I am so thankful for the power of God's word in our life, yet I take it for granted so often.  If you're anything like me, you often grumble that God isn't speaking to you.  Yet, right in front of us we have the living and active word, "sharper than any double edged sword."  Perhaps we need to absorb all of that before we start complaining (and FYI- you will never completely absorb all the Bible has to offer!)  I hope you meditate and even write out Hebrews 10:32-39 and receive the same joy I have from this passage:



Remember those earlier days after you had received the light, when you stood your ground in a great contest in the face of suffering. 33Sometimes you were publicly exposed to insult and persecution; at other times you stood side by side with those who were so treated. 34You sympathized with those in prison and joyfully accepted the confiscation of your property, because you knew that you yourselves had better and lasting possessions.  35So do not throw away your confidence; it will be richly rewarded. 36You need to persevere so that when you have done the will of God, you will receive what he has promised. 37For in just a very little while,
“He who is coming will come and will not delay.38 But my righteous one will live by faith.  And if he shrinks back, I will not be pleased with him.”
     39But we are not of those who shrink back and are destroyed, but of those who believe and are saved.

No comments:

Post a Comment