Pinterest A Grateful Life Lived: A Presence Filled 2014: February 19

Wednesday, February 19, 2014

A Presence Filled 2014: February 19

   




Spring


     Today brought a hint of Spring and much needed sunshine here in Indy.  Heck: I even ran without gloves this morning!  The warmth also allowed me to press into God with thankfulness, because I've noticed this past week: I've been very self-centered.
     Aside from the amazing experiences I have at the school I'm volunteering at, I noticed today that my prayers have been very "me me me" the past few days.  I was stressing out about a Spanish presentation today and lots of homework on my plate, and I let that turn me inward.  Yet, God's grace is here for the taking and I'm so thankful I was able to start anew today.  The bright sunshine and (slowly) melting piles of snow were a great reminder of that.
     I also listened to a great teaching by Christine Caine-- one of my new favorite authors-- that was really great and discussed the need to address the sin and the shame in our lives "today."  Have you ever thought about that: Why did Pharaoh tell Moses to get rid of the plague of the frogs "tomorrow."
     Christine referenced the story of the captives of Egypt and I was struck by this verse I'd never quite seen before:

{Moses said to Pharaoh, "The honor is yours to tell me: when shall I entreat for you and your servants and your people, that the frogs be destroyed from you and your houses, that they may be left only in the Nile?" Then he said, "Tomorrow." So he said, "May it be according to your word, that you may know that there is no one like the LORD our God. }


     Rather than asking for the removal of the frogs that very moment, Pharaoh opted to spend another night with the disgusting creatures in his bed, on his clothes and all over his house.  Why?  Perhaps he thought that maybe they would just go away after one more night.  Maybe, he thought, one more evening will do it and they will just disappear.
     I don't know about you, but I do that very often in my own life.  God is willing and able to address something in my life and I choose to delay the action and go one more day without his freedom.  I decide that tomorrow I will address it, because I rationalize I might "feel like it" then.  Let me tell you from experience: That doesn't exactly work-- or make sense.
     I encourage you to join me in getting rid of the frogs TODAY.  We have been rescued by Christ for a reason.  It is for freedom that Christ has set us free (Galatians 5:1).  I am ready to do something about this procrastination and take a stand for freedom in Christ.  I hope you will inspect those hidden areas in your life and join me!

3 comments: