Pinterest A Grateful Life Lived: Say Goodbye to Barbie?

Saturday, November 22, 2014

Say Goodbye to Barbie?

     Like many of you, I grew up with Barbie...and Stacie and Kelly and Ken.  I ogled at the little Kelly dolls in Target checkout lines and I loved going to my cousins where we would turn the family room into a Barbie kingdom.  At that age, I paid little attention to the minuscule waist and large breasts.  The toned legs and perfect makeup seemed trivial compared to where Barbie would adventure next.  Yet, when you put it all together: Barbie is a package deal of perfection.  She gives little room for flaws or originality.  While I personally don't know if Barbie truly reinforces poor body image among girls, I certainly don't think she discourages it.  That's why I was so elated to see this in the news the past week:




Say hello to the Lammily doll.  According to TIME Magazine, the doll will be available for purchase and delivery this Wednesday.  Created by Nickolay Lamm, the doll's selling point is it's realistic appearance.  That includes normal proportions, curves, a realistic face and-- GASP-- feet that aren't tiptoed!  In fact, her feet- as well as other body parts-- are pliable and reflect the active Lammily doll.  As I read the article, I grew more and more impressed with the toy.  There are even "Lammily Marks."  They are clear vinyl stickers like stretch marks, acne, freckles and moles that can be place on the doll.  I'm partial to the dirt and grass stained stickers as a former tomboy myself!


The coolest part of the TIME article was the accompanying video which shows girls reacting to the doll.  The overall consensus seemed to be that the Lammily doll appeared ready for adventure: real adventure.  Better yet: The girls saw her as beautiful.  A little boy even commented that she wasn't so thin, that she looked more like his mom.  "She looks like my sister," another girl said.  "She's really pretty.


It's just a doll.  So what's the big deal?  The thing is, girls have role models.  They look up to the women in their lives and seek to emulate them.  But when society presents a different ideal, it creates a discrepancy and girls are often pulled into confusion about who they are supposed to be.  If young girls are able to play with a doll that reinforces healthy weight and real beauty: imagine the difference it will make on confidence. (RELATED: The Perfect Christmas Gift) As someone who knows the reality of poor body image and eating disorders, I applaud Nickolay Lamm for his recognizing this problem in society that is negatively impacting girls.

RELATED: Great Games for the Whole Family!

No comments:

Post a Comment