Pinterest A Grateful Life Lived: Visiting Indianapolis

Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Visiting Indianapolis

     

I'm sure more adventures are in the  near future, but I've already seen so much to love in Indianapolis, Indiana and the surrounding area.  I've enjoyed finding the hidden treasures and exploring the storied oddities.  If you're planning a visit, here are the stops I recommend:


1. Action and Atomic Duckpin Bowling
This is a must for families.  Although, I'll warn you: it is much harder than normal bowling.  The lanes are shorter and the balls are smaller.  Plus, there are less pins to aim for!  Despite this, our family had a great time laughing at our terrible duckpin ability and spending time together in this cool, retro, bowling alley.




2. The Indianapolis Museum of Art
I stumbled upon this gem on a lonely Sunday afternoon.  It's only a short bike ride from campus and offers FREE exhibits, amazing walking grounds and some sweet children's activities both inside and outside.  It's a must see while your in the area.



3. Butler University
Of course, I'm a bit biased, but Butler truly is an amazing place to visit.  The canal runs along the south side of campus, behind the famous Hinkle Fieldhouse.  The beautiful old buildings and kind students and staff make Butler a definite stop while passing through.  Whether or not you've got a prospective college student in your party, someone in the group is going to fall in love with Butler.  I guarantee it!


4. The Indianapolis Children's Museum
If the child in you is itching to blow off some steam, the children's museum in Indianapolis just happens to be the largest children's museum in the world.  If that doesn't impress you, the life sized dinosaurs and indoor carousel should do the job.  This museum is designed to be hands-on, educational and-- of course-- fun!  Butler students, like myself, get in FREE on Sundays.  But the rest of you can check it out for free on the first Thursday of every month.
Carousel




5. Broad Ripple
This little town center is a few miles from Butler's campus and offers numerous restaurants, cute shops, entertainment options and regular festivals and fairs for locals.  Broad Ripple is a great place to spend an afternoon.  The Broad Ripple women's clothing boutique, Pitaya, has a cult following among college students and practically everyone has a favorite concoction at the beloved ice cream shop, Brics.  Throw in the myriad of art galleries, music shops and local restaurants (try 3 Sisters: my favorite!), you'll find yourself trying to think of another excuse to pass through Indianapolis in the future.
Brics is right in Broad Ripple and right on the Monon Bike Trail, the runs for miles in
and out of the central Indy area.


     I hope that you find Indianapolis as worthy of exploration as I have.  I can't wait till the warm weather comes and I can hit the bike trails again to discover even more.  I've heard of so many other places worth going.  It's a good thing I've got four years to become the expert on all things Indy!

No comments:

Post a Comment