Pinterest A Grateful Life Lived: Adiós 2013: A Look Back

Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Adiós 2013: A Look Back

     This has been a pretty crazy year.  It's been a year of change-- but good change-- and lots of new experiences.
     I started the year with a decision to attend Butler University and then proceeded to have a really difficult end to my high school running career.  I did gain a lot of perspective on where running is in my life, and that was one of the greatest lessons of 2013 for me.
Hello from the top of Handies Peak!
Click HERE to see all of 2013's
babysitting adventures!
     I had the experience of a lifetime when my mom and I headed out to Colorado after my graduation.  It was by far, one of the most special and memorable vacations of my life.  I got to have great time with her, climb up-- run actually-- my first 14er (Handies Peak).  We also were able to complete a lot of amazing hikes while we were there, like hiking to the base of Engineer Mountain and various parts of the Colorado Trail.
     In July, my dad got married: something I had truly been afraid of for a very long time.  Not only was the wedding really great, but so is the family I have gained as a result!  I was frightened that I would be forgotten, especially with my looming departure for college.  Turns out, that Wedding Day was also a clear portrayal of how God is working to restore every area of my life!
Ah: the day I found the campus
fresh fruit market
     A few weeks after the wedding, our new family-- minus my older brother-- took off for Hilton Head, S.C.  That was another great vacation filled with so many awesome memories.  We found so many great things to do while we were there, and of course: I blogged about it HERE.   I also found a sweet running spot on the Pinckney Island Reserve (I highly recommend it!).


(RELATED- A Review: 2013 in Travel)


College move in day
     In late August, I headed off to college and it was absolutely terrifying and exciting at the same time.  I had a really rocky start.  I was homesick, lonely, missing home, homesick and, (in case I didn't mention): homesick!  I started getting the hang of things though and began to see all the opportunities and blessings God was lavishing on me.  At the time, my stress fracture made the transition 20 times harder, but looking back: I see how much of a blessing it was.  I was able to ground myself in the Lord in that new environment, rather than to fall back on the constancy of running.  It made for a semester of immense spiritual growth and blessing!  With my first semester done and dusted (read more HERE), I am enjoying a relaxing holiday season at home.  It has been great to be with my family and see all my friends at home.
Read about my girls' weekend
in Chicago HERE!
     I also know that Satan is really tugging at my emotions, as I have been really anxious about going back to school in a couple of weeks.  Here's the thing though: I know that God has placed me there for a specific reason.  It is such a blessing and I am excited to get back into things and even compete this indoor and outdoor track season.  I refuse to cloud over these blessings with anxiety and negativity.  The time to return will come soon enough, so until then: I will not worry about tomorrow.  When I'm there, I know I'll transition back and will be immediately enveloped in the love of the Lord that goes everywhere with me!
I had lots of fun exploring the
Indianapolis Museum of Art
this fall!
     If there's one word I would use to describe this year, it would be: restoration.  In 2012, I grew in hope.  In 2013, I began to throw off the fears that have limited me for so long.  It is still a work in progress, but that doesn't mean the testimony isn't worth giving!  God has begun to restore my joy, my faith, my boldness, my identity in Him, my confidence, my passion and vision and my health in all aspects of the word.  He has truly worked a miracle in a girl who's not worth saving.  For that reason, I'm eternally grateful for his work of grace in 2013 and I am expectantly hopeful for more and more of Him in this coming year.
I also got to go Duckpin Bowling
with the gang, during family weekend
     It's been my year of gratitude-- of things both big and small.  And now, I collectively can see the blessing in the entire 365 days.  And what happens to my journey of the year, "A Grateful 2013?"  My focus on being grateful is far from over, but 2014 has a new twist that I think you will like.  Click HERE to read more!  I hope you will continue along with me into the new year as I share more of God's goodness and a bit more of my own craziness :)
I hope you all had a Merry Christmas!


No comments:

Post a Comment