Pinterest A Grateful Life Lived: The Running world and Hebrews 12:1

Thursday, April 4, 2013

The Running world and Hebrews 12:1

     I realize that as a teenage-Christian-runner-blogger, I am the minority.  However, I have the hope that among the Christian-runner-blog audience, I am slightly more in the norm.  I realize that the rest of the world already considers runners a little wacko (RELATED: How to anger a cross country runner), but among Christian runners, there is an even greater stereotypical image we retain.  One of the funniest and strangest little cliche's is the universal fascination runners have with the same Bible verses.  I know that all scripture is profitable.  I just think it's funny that the whole Christian running community seems to flock to the same two or three passages.
 Now, let's be honest: I'm sure I'm not the only one who has gotten on Bible Gateway or a Bible app. and searched for the term "running." I hit "search" and watch with wide eyed anticipation for the magical verse that will give victory and success in all running endeavors.  Then, we proceed to write these precious verses on note-cards or a forearm.  We post them to Facebook on the day of a big race, often with a blurb on how we will "more than conquer" all  other runners, who are terrible heathens worthy of destruction.  Right?  I mean, God has to make us win against those kinds of runners!
     The verse we are most guilty of claiming for our own success and pride, seems to be the good old Hebrews 12:1.  I'm sure you've heard this one from a runner or two:
 



     Yes, we have laid claim to this one, big time.  I mean, the rest of the world mocks runners, so we  have the right.  If we want to hold fast to Hebrews 12:1 and plaster it on every DriFit shirt and water bottle we lay our hands on, it must be a "God thing," right?  It's just a divine move of God that almost every runner has the same favorite verse.
     I dare you: go to the Facebook page of a fellow Christian runner. Click on the "About" section and scroll until you hit the jackpot.  Underneath movie quotes-- and some Pre ones-- you will find Hebrews 12:1 printed across the page, loud and proud.  If it is a girl's page, their might even be a little heart next to the verse.
     I suggest then, that we Copyright Hebrews 12:1.  Boxers have that verse in 1 Corinthians.  Dancers have practically the entire book of Psalms.  Runners?  There is a handful of Bible verses that mention the word "run."  We need to protect that before some soccer player or confused racecar driver steals our claim to fame.  It is time to band together my friends.  I now realize that in reality, this is not a silly ordeal at all.  It is a matter of God's love for his running children.  We must show that world that we are in fact so legit, that Bible verses reference our sport.  It's just a God thing guys.  Just a God thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment