Pinterest A Grateful Life Lived: I Always Thought it Said... (Misheard Christian Song Lyrics

Friday, July 19, 2013

I Always Thought it Said... (Misheard Christian Song Lyrics

     I was thinking the other day how different and unique our perceptions are.  A prime example: song lyrics.  A little while back, my dad and I were listening to the radio in the car when I heard him singing along and realized, "Oh!  You mean THAT is the lyric?"  Mine was a harmless misinterpretation, and I still sing it that way because there not much difference except for it keys in to God's love in a word that speaks to me more, and it's not what the artist intended.  Aah, good old interpretation.
     Kids especially, tend to have some interesting lyrical interpretations, that are usually a bit further from the true meaning.  I couldn't stop laughing this past Christmas season when I heard on the radio that one young boy thought the lyrics to the Little Drummer Boy were: "Shall I play for you Barack Obama?  I am a poor boy too Barack Obama."
     So I compiled a list of-- no joke-- some of the actual things I thought songs were saying when I was a kid.  Well, some of them are a little more recent...

1. Praise God From Whom All Blessings Flow
     We sang this one frequently in church as a child and I was always convinced that I had the correct interpretation, although I always wondered why we were supposed to praise meatloaf.  When I finally got curious enough to ask a parent, the truth was revealed.
MY LYRICS: "Praise God from whom all blessings flow, Praise our Father and meatloaf."
CORRECT LYRICS: "Praise God from whom all blessings flow, Praise our Father here below."

2. Love is in the House (by Toby Mac)
     I think my version is very creative and clever compared to the 'correct' way to sing this song
MY LYRICS: "Love is in the house in the house of Mac."
CORRECT LYRICS: "Love is in the house and the house is packed."

3. Brave (by Nicole Nordman)
     I'll admit that this adaptation is really quite depressing...
MY LYRICS: "So long saddest girl.  I think I just let go."
CORRECT LYRICS: "So long status quo.  I think I just let go."

4. Restoration (by Phillips, Craig, and Dean)
     I'm going to confess here that this song is now our family inside joke.  Since discovering the real lyrics, we-- mostly: I-- have created several unique twists to one particular refrain in the song.
MY LYRICS: "We sing hey now, hey now now now now now.  What we need is desperation.  Hey now, hey now now now now now.  What we really need, is desperation.
CORRECT LYRICS: "If we sing hey now, hey now now now now now.  What we really need is restoration.  Hey now, hey now now now now  now.  What we really need, is restoration.
THE BEST LYRICS: "Hey now, hey now now now now now.  What we need is respiration.  Hey, now (deep inhale) hey (deep inhale) now now now now now.  What we really (deep inhale) is respiration."

5. What Child is This?
     To be honest, I still don't know what "laud" is, but I guess that's what Google's for, right?
MY LYRICS: "Haste, haste to bring him lard."
CORRECT LYRICS: "Haste, haste to bring him laud.


Jesus loves gifts from his kids.
 Then again, who really
gives lard as a gift from the heart...?


What other lyric misinterpretations have you encountered?  I'm sure there are plenty of funny ones!

2 comments:

  1. So on k love( a station here in Oregon) there's a song called " God Is On The Move"
    My mother in law and I now have an inside joke because when she first heard it on the radio, the volume was low so she heard
    " God is on the Roof on the roof hallelujah!"
    Correct lyrics are
    God is on the move on the move hallelujah!"
    We always sing the misheard version of ours because it makes us feel alot closer to him. Haha thanks for posting

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a funny one, and I love that song! Make sure to follow my new blog at https://agratefullifelived.wordpress.com/ to read my latest posts!
    :)

    ReplyDelete