Pinterest A Grateful Life Lived: Help yourself out a bit: breakfast

Thursday, February 7, 2013

Help yourself out a bit: breakfast

     I cannot tell you how many times I hear someone at lunch absentmindedly say, "I'm starving!"  Often, this is met with an inquiry about what they ate for breakfast.  "Oh.  I never eat breakfast!"  That was basically the conversation I heard today.  Clearly the word is out there that breakfast helps boost the metabolism and overall makes us a bit less grumpy.  I can also tell you, after a battle with anorexia two years ago, I never skipped breakfast.  That was the one meal that I didn't budge because, let's face it: we're near famished after nine odd hours without any food.  God designed our bodies to let us know when they're hungry, and breakfast is one of those typical times.
     Rather than rehash the dangers and stupidity of missing your morning nutrition, I'm going to tell you the simple ways I make sure that no matter how fast the morning rush, I don't miss out on breakfast.

1. Cereal- 99.9% of the time, this is my go to.  It is so easy to grab a bowl and munch, or grab a bag to go.  The best options are cereals high in protein and low in sugar.  This means that Captain Crunch and Reese's Peanut Butter Chocolate Puffs probably don't fit the bill.  They will most likely have you in a sugar crash by noon.  My favorites: Honey Bunches of Oats, Kashi, and Special K.

2. Hard Boiled Eggs- They're as easy as they sound.  A quick 7 minute prep. the night before, and you can have breakfast for the next few days!

3. Yogurt with some mix-ins- Grab some healthy and protein packed Greek yogurt and add in cereal, fruit, or peanut butter (my yummy secret: 6 oz yogurt + 1-2 tbsp. PB is delicious!).  Any of these are super easy and healthy.  You'll be thankful when the day's stress begins to kick in and you feel energized and gun-ho!

What are your quick and healthy breakfast ideas?

No comments:

Post a Comment