Pinterest A Grateful Life Lived: Ostriches

Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Ostriches

     Don't judge me: I love Ostriches.  Yes they are smelly.  Yes, they are kind of stupid.  Yes, they are rumored to be suicidal, and yes: I am TERRIFIED of birds (I'll leave that for another post)!  I have a perfectly good reason for my strange obsession though.  Allow me to explain:
 
                                                                  They run.
photo credit: birdsguide.blogspot.com
   
     Plain and simple: these birds are goofy idiots, but they just love to run.  They can run 40 mph, and we're talking distance here, not "wow that Cheetah is blazin' for 18 seconds" fast.  I also read that a kick from an Ostrich is powerful enough to kill a lion!  Ya- they are pretty hardcore.
     I guess the Ostrich also reminds me of myself (usually) when I run: carefree, joyful, and just about as all-out as I can go.  As if I need any further proof of the legitimacy of the Ostrich, any other Christians out there can now revel in the fact that the Ostrich makes an appearance in the Bible.  I realize that it speaks of the Ostrich being oblivious to her young, which is definitely a bad thing.  If you read on though, the verse mentions exactly what I've been saying:

13“The wings of the ostrich flap joyfully,
but they cannot compare with the pinions and feathers of the stork.
14She lays her eggs on the ground
and lets them warm in the sand,
15unmindful that a foot may crush them,
that some wild animal may trample them.
16She treats her young harshly, as if they were not hers;
she cares not that her labor was in vain,
17for God did not endow her with wisdom
or give her a share of good sense.
As much as I love Ostriches...I would be scared to stick my head in this Ostrich Pillow...
I saw this Ostrich Pillow on Pinterest
and though it was too hilarious
not to share!
18Yet when she spreads her feathers to run,
she laughs at horse and rider.


     Yes, there is a very good chance I am misinterpreting this, but after Googling reputable commentators, I have seen nothing of the sort.  The way I see it: the Ostrich is one dumb animal, but man does it run!  It just gets out there and has not a care in the world.  Therefore, the Ostrich is my favorite animal.  Maybe you still don't like Ostriches yourself, but then: maybe you don't like running either....  *In that case, you're just a lost cause :)


*I promise, I will not make a habit of insulting my audience.  I guess it wasn't fair to disclaim my post by seeking you to abstain from negative judgement, while making one myself-- oops.  But I've already spent like ten minutes writing this, so give me a break on this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment