Pinterest A Grateful Life Lived: Unforgettable Runs: Honolulu and Waikiki Beach

Saturday, February 16, 2013

Unforgettable Runs: Honolulu and Waikiki Beach


the famous Duke Kahanamoku statue
(photo credit: gohawaii.about.com)
     I have to flash back five years for this one, but I still remember it well: Honolulu, Hawaii.  It was the trip of a lifetime, but I'll save the trip portion for another post.  Right now, I want to talk about one of the most difficult runs I had done up onto that point in my life.  I was only in middle school, and our first track meet was right when I got back from the vacation.  With that in mind, I was set to do a distance run on that particular day.  My dad and I got up early as we usually did, and headed out for what I had determined would be four miles.
Ioloni Palace
 (photo credit: enu.wikipedia)
    The sun heated things up fast though, and as we made our way past the beautiful beach and into downtown Honolulu, I was feeling like four would be a little too far.  My dad urged me on though, and we kept going.  We passed the beautiful "Duke Kahanamoku Statue," waved to the Hawaiians surfing to the right, and kept plodding on past Waikiki beach.  The best part about the run was seeing Honolulu awake in the early morning.  It was about eight, so we began to see surfers and natives alike set to their day.  Small beach shops were opening, women were showering "Duke" with more leis, and the tourists were no where in sight.  Once we passed the stunning Iolani Palace, my dad and I turned around and made our way back to the hotel.  I waved with my beet red face as we passed the surfers again.  Almost there, I saw a small Saturday morning church service setting up on the beach and tuned my ears to the Hawaiian praise as I passed by.  Beautiful.  Seeing my exhausted face my dad leaned over, "the hotel is right around that next bend."  With his permission, I took off and sprinted the last half mile with all I had.  He found me again collapsed on the floor of the hotel room with a determined grin on my flushed face.  6 miles-- the most I'd ever done.  I was so proud, so elated, that I'd reached such a milestone.  I reveled in the glory of my accomplishment for a few minutes, and then slowly peeled myself up off the floor.  After all, it was already past nine, and I was ready to head for the beach!

Care for more?  Then check out my "Unforgettable Runs: Puerto Rico" for more!


No comments:

Post a Comment